When we start out on our entrepreneurial journey, we are full of excitement and motivation. Unfortunately for most of us, this excitement can wear off quickly because the reality kicks in on just what is involved when it comes to running a business. In fact, we start experiencing some fairly major challenges and setbacks. This unfortunately has an effect on our confidence, self esteem and ability to discipline ourselves. More on this shortly…
To understand discipline, we need to firstly look at one of the definitions of character: “Maintaining motivation towards a goal, long after the excitement that was generated when that goal was set”
Now, let’s look at how discipline is defined: “The act of doing something that needs to be done at the exact time that there is something easier to do”
As an entrepreneur, we know that making that one extra call per day will bring us more money. So then why do we clear out our emails or do something easier instead?
Achievement is really simple.
Step 1: We have to set our Goals
Step 2: We need to remain Disciplined to do what we need to get the results
Step 3: We will then manifest our goals
Step 1 is easy, but many people struggle with step 2.
1. There is no commitment (see my earlier blog post on commitment).
The problem with setting goals is they remain ‘set’. We want to ‘kick’ goals.
There is a powerful formula I teach on commitment. When you implement this formula, you will know about it. You feel different. Everything starts happening for you.
What if you turned your goals into promises? What if you then made these promises to other people? The likelihood of you achieving them will be enormous. When a business owner turns goals into promises, it’s an extremely powerful way to bring out any fear that is stopping that owner. Fear is the killer of countless dreams. We can then work through this. (contact me via the website contact form if you are interested in a program I have developed called Removing Fear – a step by step guide to saying goodbye to fears forever).
There needs to be a many reasons why you want this promise. You need 50 reasons. Most people I meet just aren’t clear on their why. When the why is strong enough, the discipline comes naturally.
2. There is no plan (there has not been enough time spent understanding what needs to be done to get that goal). Many people have not been taught how to plan properly.
I believe it’s vital to take 1 day from your schedule EVERY 3 months to be really clear on your key objectives and what you are going to work on to get you there. When you plan out every day of that quarter, your discipline naturally goes up. You also need to understand, that when you write things down you make them happen. Just putting pen to paper will ensure there is a 75% chance that you will do them. When you put it into your diary, there is a 95% chance you will do it.
3. There is not enough understanding of what it takes to really work on your mindset. The famous philosopher Jim Rohn quoted “Work harder on yourself than you do on your job” but I am not sure people fully understand this.
Our minds are so powerful. We need to constantly discipline ourselves to work on our belief. One of the best books you can read on this is called “The Magic of Thinking Big”
4.You could be mixing with the wrong people.
You are the average of the 10 people you spend the most time with. When you mix with people that are disciplined (read all of the time, go to courses to learn more, are coached, exercise a lot etc, etc) it will start to rub off on you.
People are challenged attracting new people into their circle of influence, but it’s actually easy once you work on step one above.
5. People pleasing. Once again, when you are not truly committed you will spend time pleasing others – that is putting everyone else before your goals. This is one of the fastest ways NOT do what needs to be done to get you to your goals. You need to learn to say no more than yes.
6. There is not an understanding that a stop doing list is more important that a to do list. I believe 50% of what most people do doesn’t need to be done. Really look at what you are doing with your time and make some bid decisions to STOP DOING THINGS.
Understand that the poor spend time doing things to save money while the rich spend money to save time. You need to stop doing things like cleaning, washing cars etc and put this time to growing your business. You will achieve goals a lot quicker cause let me tell you, lots of jobs do not move you towards your dreams.
7. Accountability. When you are an employee you are accountable to your boss. When you’re an owner, there is no accountability. There is no-one that can help you set Key Performance Indicators on what you are supposed to do. Therefore, many of the important things that need to be done to run a successful business (e.g. completing Monthly Profit and Loss accounts, updating client details in the database, setting up training systems for new team members etc, etc) just don’t get done.
So in summary, it all starts with COMMITMENT. Work on this and you will find that the discipline will follow. It will eliminate procrastination and other negative elements that will stop you achieve your dreams.
Here is to a disciplined week!
P.S. I am running a Quarterly Planning day on the 24th September in Brisbane from 8.30am. It’s a full day. At the end of the day you will walk away with:-
– An understanding of the commitment process and how you can apply this to your business and goals. This is one of the most powerful formulas you can work through. Once you have made a commitment to yourself, amazing things will start to happen. This I can guarantee.
– A list of what disciplines you require to be a successful entrepreneur and how to plan these so you stick to them.
– Clarity on your objectives and goals for the next 90 days.
– A detailed plan for the next 90 days, so you know where you are going and what needs to be done.
– An opportunity to learn from some other business owners (i.e. an opportunity to improve your circle of influence) and some great networking.
Morning tea and lunch will be provided.
Spots are limited (about 5 more left) so if you are interested, please email email@example.com and we will send you more information. The investment is $197 for early bird bookings.
Look forward to seeing you on September 24.