I got this advice from the amazing business mentor Marshal Thurber.
We are all born with unlimited potential. We haven’t yet had pressure and rules placed on us by parents, teachers and peers. Everything is possible as there is no upper limit. It’s only when we grow that we may recognise those limiting beliefs – those same beliefs which are holding us back.
Here is a simple example to illustrate what I’m saying:-
One of my clients was born into a family of poverty. The daily conversation was focused on the struggle they faced and the difficulty of finding finance.
Thirty years later my client is running his own business yet fails to get traction, despite having the right strategy, a great team and happy clients.
Talking with him I was able to help him discover his deeply rooted beliefs about the difficulty of being successful. He was subconsciously held back from early childhood discussions about the stress and difficulty around the lack of money. Once we discussed his deep rooted belief system, he became closely aware of it.
My client did the work to UNLEARN those limiting beliefs, and within six months he had a highly successful business.
We all carry beliefs from our childhood, but the important issue is to become aware of them, as they maybe limiting your potential to succeed in business and in life.
My sound advice is this:- Spend the time to UNLEARN, BEFORE YOU LEARN. I guarantee this will make an enormous difference in your life.
Have a great day.
P.S. There are many techniques to re-wire your mind and unlearn those limiting beliefs. I personally find that meditation is one of the best.
Here is a list of some typical self-limiting beliefs. You may have others to add to the list.
- I’m not smart enough.
- I’m too old, too young, too fat, too unfit etc
- I’m not outgoing
- I lack too much experience
- I could never do that.
- I lack sufficient formal education
- I’m too weak
- I don’t have the confidence for x
- I don’t have the skills or talent
- I don’t have what it takes to succeed.
- I’m useless at money and time management
- I dont even know what I want from life
- I’m afraid of falling short of success
- I’m so stupid when it comes to X
- I make too many errors when trying something new
- Taking risks never seem to work for me
- Why should I change when I’m already comfortable?
- Successful people are just lucky
- I deserve better
- I work very hard. Isn’t that enough?
- I’m a failure
- I’m a slow learner
- Too many people are smarter than I am
- My parents let me down
- My partner isn’t supportive enough